Since 2004, Dr. Scott Rocklage has been a managing partner of both 5 AM Venture Management and 5 AM Venture IV, L.P. Dr. Rocklage also served as the Chief Executive Officer from 11th May 2016 to 25th July 2016. Additionally, he acted as the acting partner from 6th May 2016 to 11th May 2016 in the same firm. Scott joined 5 AM Ventures as a venture partner in 2003. In 2004 he became the managing partner. His strategic leadership qualities in Healthcare Management where he has a three years’ experience led to FDA approval of the three U.S. Scott Rocklage served under the following positions:
• Chairman and CEO of Cubist Pharmaceuticals
• President and CEO of Nycomed Salutar
• R&D jobs at Slautar and Catalytica
• Chairman of Board of Relypsa (NASDAQ:RLYP)
• Chairman of the Board of Rennovia, Kinestral and Cidara
• Board chairman of Epirus and Pulmatrix
• Executive of IIypsa, Miilana, and Semprus
Rocklage is based in Boston, MA office; he is a co-inventor of more than 30 U.S patents. Additionally, he has over 100 peer-reviewed publications.
The Venture capital firm 5 AM was founded in 2002. The Corporation based in Menlo Park California and has another office in Boston Massachusetts. The company specializes in early stage startup investments and spinouts. The company mostly invests in life science companies and focuses on the development of drugs, biotechnology, and biopharma. Other areas of focus for 5 AM is medical technologies and platforms on product discovery.
• Under drug development. 5 AM Company is more interested in firms that focus on diabetes, oncology, anti-infectives and metabolic diseases.
• Medical technologies. The interest is in companies that are concerned with diagnostic, imaging agents, medical devices, drug delivery and material science.
5 AM wants to make equity investments and be the lead investor. Its aim is to have a board seat in the majority of the companies in its portfolio.
In June 2014, 5 AM announced that Peter Kim, the former Merck Research Laboratories boss would join the firm as a partner. Kim made several achievements in his 12 years’ service at Merck & Co.’s. Part of the gains is he was part of the leading team that discovered nearly 20 treatments and vaccines. On 31st May 2016, 5 AM Ventures announced the close of $285 million Venture, L.P. The capital raised aimed at building life science companies. The $285 million came from existing and new institutional investors which include endowments, pension funds, family office and foundations among others.
5 AM focuses on hands-on approach in building the company. Since the corporation was started, it has raised approximately $1 billion for investments in companies focused on innovative life science. The firm has made 80 investments in 44 companies. Among the 44 companies, six companies issued an initial public offering and eight companies have been acquired.